New Bridge Baptist Church has a long and varied history that began several miles from our current location on Elko Road in Sandston, VA.
New Bridge Baptist Church was founded in 1834 as a mission church composed mainly of members from First Baptist Church of Richmond. It is generally believed that the church was named after New Bridge Road, now Nine Mile Road. The name "New Bridge Road" came from a new bridge which had been built over the Chickahominy River.
The original church was dissolved in 1840-1841 and was later re-organized. During the Civil War, the church disbanded once again, and the building was used as a hospital for wounded Confederate soldiers. The church was once again reorganized in 1868 and remained in existence until 1892, when many members left to form a church called the Highland Springs Baptist Church, which is still located in Highland Springs, VA. The church continued to form and disband over the next several years, reorganizing under the leadership of various pastors called to the church.
Rev. M.J. Hoover was called as pastor in 1917, and served for over 28 years. The church was housed on Nine Mile Road, and a brick sanctuary and classrooms were built during this time to replace the existing frame structure. The church occupied the new building on the first Sunday in December in 1924.
Additional building projects took place at the Nine Mile Road site, including the addition of an educational wing in 1949 and a new sanctuary that was completed in 1962. The church continued to grow during this time, adding new members to Sunday School and even a second worship service to accommodate the growing number of Sunday morning worshipers.
A Kindergarten program was established at New Bridge in 1970. When Henrico County Public Schools instituted a Kindergarten program through the county, the church maintained a nursery school. In 1975, the nursery school was combined with a day care program, and the Weekday Early Education Center (W.E.E. Center) was founded and is still operating today.
Additional building projects took place in the 70's, including the completion of the Family Life Center (gym) and additional education space. In 1978, New Bridge sponsored a mission church, "Swift Creek Baptist Mission," in Chesterfield County, now known as Swift Creek Baptist Church.
During the pastoral tenure of Dr. Gary Threatt, the church purchased the land on Elko Road and began preparations to move from the Nine Mile Road site. The Nine Mile Road property was sold to Henrico County for the establishment of a school and meeting facility. The last Easter Celebration service on Nine Mile Road took place in April of 2001, the same month the foundation was poured for the new church facility on Elko Road. The church met for the last time in the old facility in July 2001, and then met at Highland Springs High School for several months while the building was under construction.
In April 2002, New Bridge Baptist Church celebrated our Easter service in the new church facility at 5701 Elko Road, followed by a "grand opening" in June of that year.
Since that time, the church has opened New Bridge Academy, a private school for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. The original facility was expanded, adding space to the Fellowship Hall, where our students meet for Bible Study and worship, along with a Kids' Worship room, and a conference/meeting room and prayer room.
We are currently affiliated with the Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia and the Southern Baptist Convention. We partner with other local churches to support Eastern Henrico FISH, which provides a clothes closet, food pantry, and financial assistance to members of our local community.
Pastor Rob Edwards was called to New Bridge as Lead Pastor in November 2009, serving as the 27th full-time pastor of New Bridge. His wife, Anne, teaches at New Bridge Academy. Under Pastor Rob's leadership, the church has continued a tradition of missions and ministry, with mission trips to Peru, Puerto Rico, and a "A Touch of Hope," designed to reach out to members of our local community serving others by meeting needs and sharing the hope of Jesus Christ. Join us on a Sunday morning to hear more from Pastor Rob, and find your place to Love God, Learn Together, and Serve Others with us at New Bridge!